Monday 11 April 2011

No wonder zombies are always pissed off!

As a sufferer of a progressively disabling disease, one might be tempted to think that the feeling of sensation in the disabled limb is a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I can feel my legs and feet as this does indeed foster the hope that once treatment commences, normal service will be resumed over the fullness of time.

But there's feeling and there's damn annoying feeling too.  If I sit with my legs hanging over the edge of the chair, they receive a limited circulation of blood. This causes pins and needles and a burning sensation, particularly at the back of my toes. It also causes the bottom of my feet to feel as though they are covered in small, rounded hard lumps. It hasn't helped that my left ankle was the site for a sural biopsy and this has left me with shooting, electrical type pains that dart around the biopsy area. These, according to the neurologists, are all consistent with polyneuropathy. Luckily these feelings don't all occur at the same time and the levels can range across a spectrum of discomfort. Until recently, the same could be said about putting my feet up, as well as down.  Now though, putting my feet up results in a much more heightened sensation of all that I have mentioned until they reach a stage of what I can only describe as a living death. If zombies feel like this no wonder they are always pissed off!  The pins and needles are safely in their workbox and the toes that once burned are extinguished. What remains after around an hour of having these feet up, and particularly the left one is something so dead one would imagine it to be free of feeling. But here's the rub, the pain is excruciating and then, as I've previously said, I then have to let it hang free and let gravity do its work on the blood flow before I start another round.  That it means 2 or 3 hours sleep a night, simply adds to the overall misery my feet are inflicting on me and those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment