Friday 10 June 2011

Day 35

It's now 5 weeks since I had my stem cell transplant. In a way it might as well be 5 years because it just feels so long ago. What a distance to have travelled in 5 weeks. I've had a lethal dose of a noxious chemo drug. I've had my stem cells replaced. I've had my blood system reduced to a point where I had no immune system. I had my dignity ripped away as I lost control of my bowels and where I spent hours with my head in a cardboard bowl. I lived on sickly milkshake when I could not taste or chew food. Frankly it was a bloody awful time and it wasn't confined to being in hospital, I still felt rotten when I got home. 5 weeks in though and I'm feeling a lot better. I'm still not mobile but then I wasn't before I had the chemo. I'm starting to taste food again and do have the beginnings of an appetite returning. I'm eating proper food again and have now started doing some exercises to try to build myself back up again. It's taken a while to get this point ands it's good to feel that I'm improving. I wonder what I'll be able to say over the next few weeks and months?

1 comment:

  1. Eating, sleeping. Eating and sleeping. Sleeping and eating...

    So, so important.

    But that's too obvious to write in a blog post comment, surely?

    Oh no it's not.

    See you next week, sir. And I hope you're looking forward to some more observably obvious and obsolete observations.

    Obviously.

    ReplyDelete